Saturday, July 28, 2007

You Can't Park There...



So, there were we were, just motoring along Wyoming Avenue in Forty Fort. I was loafing, staring out the window while the bride drove.

I'd never noticed them before. Now I did. Maybe two to a block, right on utility poles.

NO PARKING
2AM - 5AM

I waited a bit until we came upon another one, thinking maybe my reading comprehension was off, which it can be often enough - at my age, I really don't trust myself like I once did. Here comes another one and, yep...

NO PARKING
2AM - 5AM

For three hours overnight, and I presume this is a daily injunction, you cannot park along Wyoming Avenue in Forty Fort. If there are signs, there must be an ordinance. If there's an ordinance, there has to be a penalty attached for violating that ordinance.

The obvious question, of course, is just why you can't park there in the middle of the night. The answer is not so obvious. A little speculation would make me suspect that they clean the streets there at that time and don't want to be swinging in and out trying not to hit your parked car.

Then I came to my senses.

1) Do they actually sweep Wyoming Avenue? Conceding that "they" do, who are "they?" Wyoming Avenue is US Route 11, making it PennDOT's problem.

2) Would they sweep it in the middle of the night? Even if they did, would they do it seven nights a week?

What I did was pretty much chalk it up to that time-honored practice of No Parking for No Apparent Reason. We see that a lot, in lots of places.

Why, even some places have a guy to tell you, "Hey, you can't park there!" Those same places never seem to have a guy to tell where you can park, only to tell you where you can't.

Try a church picnic or a volunteer fire company's bazaar next chance you get; they always have a couple guys to tell you, "Hey, you can't park there!" That's all they do, that's their contribution to their cause, making sure people don't park some place for some reason, a reason which is never revealed to us. Until then, try parking there, see what happens. Let me know...