Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Try Our New Easy-Off Cap!


So, I did. I fell for it. How could you resist an New Easy-Off Cap. For the love of God, how can a man resist any easy-off cap, never mind a "new" one?

I mean, really, so many other caps had broken my heart over the years, the hope of "new, easy, off" was too big a temptation to resist. I was ready. I could try, I could.

So, I did.

I turned the cap. The cap came off.

My faith in mankind had been renewed. In answer to that age-old question, "What'll they think of next..." they had thought of something next.

After replacing this new easy-off cap, I studied the spectacle before me, right there in the bathroom. I looked. Then I looked again.

Twisting, turning, studying. Hmmmmm, what was it? What had made this easy-off cap so, well, so easy to take off?

Nothing. Nothing at all. It was a threaded cap. When twisted counterclockwise, it came off. Maybe south of the equator you had to twist it clockwise, but there was nothing easy-off about it. Nothing hard-off about it either.

New? Yeah, maybe. It was, I think, a little bigger than the cap on the last tube I'd had.

It was toothpaste. I was going to buy it anyway, it brings relief to a problem tooth of mine, so the deal was already done. That new cap sort of capped it. I gotta get this tongue out of my cheek some day.

So, that begs the question, "What was wrong with the old cap?" If it was hard to get off, just how hard? Pliers hard? Hammer and screwdriver hard? Slam it under the toilet seat hard?

And if getting it off wasn't all that easy, making development of an easy-off cap a priority, who brought it to their attention? Did users of this dentifrice complain, did they call headquarters and beg for help?

Hey, sorry, I ask the questions. Many of them are not rhetorical, gentle reader, they do require an answer. This one, though, has me stumped.