Friday, April 3, 2009

This Just In...And I'm Not Shocked

Well, not really "just in," I knew about this early today from an informed source. C'mon, I spent over thirty years in the news business hereabouts. Contacts develop, if only by happenstance, if only because you stayed at the dance too long. I stayed at the dance too long. They finally tossed me out.

Although I knew fecal and fan were coming together today on South Franklin Street, it wasn't until I was physically on South Franklin Street at the right moment this very afternoon that I heard the particulars. A couple seconds either way and I would have missed an encounter.

Coming out of a very productive and pleasant meeting around 2:15 PM, I spotted a former colleague on the opposite side of the street. He didn't look good. No name, OK, but he didn't look good.

Seeing me, he came over to my side of the street, where the sun was starting to come out. On his side, the clouds were dark and dreary, as was he.

He gave me the highlights, such as he had them. The WYOU bomb had dropped only minutes before that second when we stood and talked for the first time in almost three years.

Beale's Bites is where you might want to be, so get on over and learn more, or maybe leave a thought or two.

WYOU's collapse has been in the wind for years. Today's developments, while most unpleasant for many, are of zero surprise to me. Good luck to all whose pain I've known myself.