Monday, January 12, 2009

Drumbeats 'er No?


In a word, no. So far, no drums.

Though looking at a set longingly, I've yet to step up and count out the cash. And cash it'll be.

As mentioned in my last post, we trying with all we've got to drop the plastic habit, maintaining cards and their credit for only a few very select situations. Right now, I don't know what the heck those situations might be. What I do know is that me buying a new toy isn't one of them. A shiny new drum set qualifies as a toy. So, for now, no drums.

There has been, though, some progress. Thanks to a very talented drummer, who is also my nephew, the list of brands has been whittled down to where we now have one manufacturer in mind.

Before I drag home a set of drums - or get it delivered - and make an attempt at assembly, some room needs to be made clear for them. Surely I'll want to leave ample expansion space, for who knows when a gong, chimes, and a vibraphone might make a nifty addition. Could be one of us will stumble across a hammered dulcimer at a deep discount one day and just have to have it. Dare I even mention a great deal on a used glockenspiel?

Maybe while I'm making that room, I can check around for a "Drum Set Assembler" and see if there isn't one nearby. If you know of one, give me a yell. Thanks. The professional assembly of drum sets is probably an under served market.

For now, the only place I can see that drum set going is in our basement, or cellar, or whatever you prefer. How does that work? Is there a distinction between a cellar and a basement? If you collect wine in your basement, it then becomes a wine cellar. However, would you invite friends over for a fine Chateau Petrus Pomerol and white truffle pate down those creaky steps in your cellar? Perhaps that's when you''ll need to call it a tasting room. Do make sure to tell your wine friends that the feel of the room is rustic, too. Tell them that's what the cellars of Provence look like.

When I was a kid, we had a cellar. Now, I guess, we have a basement, if only because it's finished...sort of. While it doesn't have a dirt floor, our lowest level isn't exactly designed with that charming host or hostess who loves to entertain in mind. When Carol and I first began the hunt that ended with us buying this house, we used one criteria to eliminate several potential houses. The criteria was the "scary basement." And you'll just have to trust me here, we looked at some places that had really scary basements.

Among its many features, our basement has a low ceiling, or maybe that's a high floor. Anyone beyond 5'7" or so is likely to knock themselves senseless moving around down there, should they do so without being on the lookout for those pesky cross beams.

It's the principal reason there's no beer dispenser of any kind down there. My thinking all along has been that I'd go down for another pitcher of draft and do a meet-and-greet with a big piece of lumber. That wood's been there over a hundred years. My head isn't going to move it.

Putting drums in the cellar/basement might make it the music room, maybe we could call it a studio, or a conservatory. Lots of possibilities here, lots.

Now, about that likely location. The way I figure things, down there most of the neighbors wouldn't hear me loud and clear while I tried to learn how to play drums. Our township does have a noise ordinance or two. I don't need a citation.

Plus, I don't need anyone staring at me while I'm being the big (not to mention old) fool who thinks he's the world's newest drummer. Aren't most among us somewhat self-conscious when it comes to being on display doing something we're really not at all good at doing?

For now, I guess, I'll continue to save up and do my homework on what drum set suits me best. Probably, a kids' set would do just fine, a kids' set for a glandular child who's big for his age.