Friday, January 18, 2008

A Tough but Proper Decision...


I suppose what follows will surprise a few, not at all surprise some, disappoint a couple people, and likewise make at least a handful of others happy.

I'll risk a little here and be immodest in saying that my decision will also cause a sigh of relief under some roofs.

My decision leaves one less dog to bark at the caravan as it moves on. (Sorry, but the "dog" reference just had to happen.)

To say that the matter has caused me serious mental calisthenics is about right; to say that I wrestled hard and long over a decision would not be inaccurate.

As I wrote way back in July, being encouraged to run for congress is heady stuff, it really is one hell of a notion, a powerful jolt to one's ego. But that's all on paper.

Like so many other things in life, running for congress "looks good on paper."

The reality is quite different.

For all those who encouraged me to do this, thanks a million.

To all who vowed their support should I decide to do this, thanks a million.

To those who wished I wouldn't do this, you got your wish. You're welcome.

The why behind the decision is really pretty simple. At this moment in time, here in 2008, I am thrilled to be doing what I am doing.

I love my job. That's it. Plain. Simple. Unadorned. I love my job and presently have no interest in walking away from it.

It's been a long, long time since that statement could be made. It's true - I love my job, and I love my life right now. I don't want to turn my lifestyle upside down, and I especially don't want to fail in my commitment to The SPCA of Luzerne County.

Should you care to call me an altruistic fool, please help yourself. If it's the worst you can say about me, wonderful.

That's it. I love my job. I don't want to leave my job. I don't want to be a member of congress...at least not right now. My coming of age was in a generation which was constantly reminded and encouraged to "...be true to yourself." So, why not? Forgive me for being just that, true to myself.

My conscience is clear on the matter; had I gotten in, it would not have been with heart, body, soul, psyche, and every cell within me. I never misled anyone on that.

Getting in and running anything less than a bona fide and honest-to-God 100% earnest campaign would have been unfair to those who supported and encouraged me. It would have been an insult to their generosity and caring. It would have been disloyal, and I have always placed a very high value on loyalty; knowing that to get loyalty, you have to give it. The same applies to respect.

Personal thoughts and feelings...

What has stunned me every time I heard it was, "I hope you're not going to get into politics."

And I heard it a lot, probably daily. It was generally followed by a rant about how dirty and slimy politics is, and how getting into the mess would somehow soil me. People seemed very concerned about me getting dirtied by the process.

It makes me sad. Public service should be a noble and honorable calling. To me, it still is. That others don't see it as such should be of great concern to us all.

It's a clarion call, perhaps more of a shrill and screaming voice, telling us that politicians, whether recently-elected, forever-incumbent, attempting to become incumbent, are not held in high regard by Americans in the main. Now is not a good time to be an elected official. We need to change that.